Sehana's Other Pages

Sehana's Supreme Dynasty | Supreme Dynasty Blog - All TeamLava and App related content is now at this blog. |

sehanafortress.com/apps moved to supremedynasty.com.

Now also SehanaFortress Blog is moving all app and TL related material to Supreme Dynasty Blog.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bisquick Puto (no eggs, no milk) - Filipino Rice Cake

Bisquick Puto (no eggs, no milk) - Filipino Rice Cake
With photos and details.

2.5 - 3 cups Bisquick (depends on the thickness)
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Water
.5 tsp Vanilla Extract

25 minutes to steam each set.
Makes about 72 pcs (6 dozen)



I am able to get to an Asian store to purchase the box version of puto, but requires a bit of a drive.
It's usually made with rice flour and coconut milk and some other things, I can't find my recipe so here's a Bisquick version.

I've seen other Bisquick Puto recipes, but they required milk and eggs. I wanted to expirement without the use of milk and eggs.

My bamboo steamer had mold and mildew on it when I took it out and so I'm using a Hamilton Beach steamer.
The cups are from Amazon. I have 4 sets (48 total cups).

So here are my results :p
(See photos and details)

Here are the silicone cups


These are the sizes, so they aren't very large, but puto is meant to be bite sized :)


Hamilton Beach steamer


My silicone baking mats to use for placement and to prevent Pam from being on the counter.


Set out and lined mini muffin silicone cups.


Sprayed cups with Pam.


Mix the 2.5 cups of Bisquick and 1 cup sugar in bowl. The sugar helps break down the Bisquick.


Add 2 cups water and .5 tsp Vanilla Extract and mix well.
NOTE: I added a little bit more bisquick for thickness; probably about half a cup more after I put just 2 cups in. Depending on how you like them depends on the thickness. I make it with the consistency of gravy. (Well I guess the consistency of gravy also depends on how you like your gravy). Well for the consistency, you're going to have to see what you like. :)


Place water in the heating chamber.


Assemble.



Used a Tablespoon to fill in muffin cups.


Fill and arrange in steamer.


I set it to 26 minutes. 1 minute for heating, 25 minutes for steaming.


I don't fill the rest of the cups as I don't want the oil to rise above the puto mixture.


17 minutes to go


Steaming completed.


Placed completed puto on mat to cool.
Allow the puto to cool before you remove them from the cups.


Filled in 20 more cups.


When the puto is cooled, roll the cup in your fingers to 'release' edges of puto.
Here's a quick demo of what I mean


Puto!!



There was more, but my boys and I were eating some as I rolled them out of the cups :p


Remember to adjust the thickness. If I were to add more Bisquick, the puto may have risen more to form the dome.

I didn't add cheese because I was only testing without the use of eggs and milk.

I think I'm going to try steaming a box of cake batter :)
I'll have to test that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment